Massachusetts Personal Injury Library

Types of Massachusetts Car Insurance Coverage, Auto Insurance Basics

The following is a simplified explanation in plain about the different types of car insurance coverage in Massachusetts. To review your policy and ensure that you have adequate coverage you should contact your insurance agent or provider. At Kiley Law Group we always recommend that clients purchase more coverage than the state required minimum.

Bodily Injury to Others

This is coverage that can protect you if another person is hurt because of your carelessness or the carelessness of someone driving your car. The protection is generally limited to the amount of coverage you purchased. For example, if your liability limits are the Massachusetts minimum compulsory coverage of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per vehicle accident, your company will pay no more than $20,000 to each injured person and no more than $40,000 total for one accident. You could be held personally responsible for any damages that exceed the insurance coverage. You can provide yourself more protection by purchasing more coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

This coverage pays up to $8,000 for medical expenses, lost wages, and replacement services. Your insurance company will pay the reasonable medical expenses of anyone in your car who was injured, regardless of fault. You do not necessarily need to be in your car for this coverage to apply. If you were struck by a car while a pedestrian you may also have coverage. Personal Injury Protection does not apply if you are injured in a Massachusetts motorcycle accident.

Property Damage Liability

This type of coverage pays for damage to someone else’s property caused by your carelessness or negligence. As in bodily injury situations, the coverage is limited to the amount you purchase. The state required minimum in Massachusetts is $5,000 which may not come close to the repairs needed to a new vehicle or other type of property. You could be sued for any property damage that you cause that exceeds your insurance coverage. You can provide yourself with more protection by purchasing more property damage coverage, which is generally inexpensive.

Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if you are injured by the carelessness of an unidentified or uninsured driver. Underinsured coverage protects you if a careless driver’s coverage is inadequate and does not cover the full value of your claims for physical injuries. It is not limited to vehicle occupants and you can recover under your own underinsured coverage as a pedestrian. Both of these coverages are extremely important to have as it can protect you and your family from careless or negligent drivers who do not carry adequate insurance coverage or insurance at all.

Medical Payment Coverage

This coverage is optional and if purchased provides payment for accident related medical bills and funeral expenses. You can purchase limits as low as $5,000 which covers you, your household members, and anyone occupying your vehicle during an accident. This is important coverage to have especially if you are a motorcyclist as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) does not apply to motorcycle passengers or riders.


This coverage applies if your vehicle is damaged by something other than a car accident. For example, this coverage would apply if your vehicle was damaged by fire, theft, or vandalism. Payment for this type of damage is often reduced by any deductible you may have. A $100 deductible means you pay the first $100 worth of damage and the insurance company pays the rest.


This is coverage in which your insurance company pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a car accident. Deductibles often apply to this coverage.

To find out how your auto insurance can affect the outcome of your auto accident claim, contact the Boston car accident lawyers at Kiley Law Group today.

Call 1-(888) 208-1695 for a Free Consultation.

Call us today for a free consultation

(888) 208-1695 (617) 248-8690 (978) 474-8670

Boston Office

290 Congress Street Suite 7034 Boston, Massachusetts 02210
Phone: (617) 248-8690 • Fax: (978) 474-8946 • Toll Free: (888) 208-1695

Andover Office

342 North Main Street P.O. Box 3040 Andover, Massachusetts 01810
Phone: (978) 474-8670 • Fax: (978) 474-8946 • Toll Free: (888) 208-1695

Copyright © 2016 Kiley Law Group, LLC, All Rights Reserved, Reproduced with Permission. Serving communities throughout Massachusetts.

Disclaimer: The auto insurance claim, car accident injury, car insurance coverage, or other legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact Tom Kiley or an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of Massachusetts.

Search Engine Optimization and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting | Sitemap | Privacy Policy