Tom Kiley Sr. has been a lawyer for over 40 years – and riding motorcycles for longer than that. At Kiley Law Group, our attorneys know firsthand the thrill of being on your bike out on the open road. We also understand the pain, emotional distress, and financial uncertainty that comes with being injured in a motorcycle accident.
Have you or a loved one been injured or killed in a motorcycle collision caused by someone else’s reckless or careless actions? If so, you may be wondering whether you should hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you, and how much will be charged for legal services.
The personal injury lawyers at Kiley Law Group take motorcycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means you owe us nothing unless we win you an awarded settlement. We also offer free case consultations. Schedule yours today by calling us 24/7 at 888-435-1321.
What is a Contingency Fee Agreement?
While looking for a motorcycle accident lawyer to represent your case, you have likely seen that many personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. But what does this mean?
When a personal injury attorney works on contingency, you do not pay any upfront fees, and the lawyer does not charge on an hourly basis for legal services. The lawyer receiving payment is contingent on you recovering a settlement for your injuries. If you do not win your case, you do not have to pay your accident lawyer anything.
If the case is successful, the lawyer is paid either a percentage of the settlement from the accident claim or a portion of what is awarded by a judge or jury in court.
How Much is a Contingency Fee for a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
The contingency fee is typically determined at the beginning of your case and will vary depending on the lawyer’s specific guidelines and quality of service. The average contingency fee for a motorcycle accident lawyer is between 30 and 40 percent of the settlement.
The majority of motorcycle accident lawyers use a sliding scale for their contingency fees depending on how complicated the case is.
For example, a lawyer may charge a fee of:
- 30 percent – If the case is settled with the insurance company and a lawsuit does not need to be filed
- 33 percent – If a lawsuit is filed but the case is settled before going to court
- 40 percent – If the case is settled at trial
The contingency fee arrangement is beneficial to the client – it assures you that your personal injury lawyer has your best interests in mind. The higher the amount your motorcycle accident claim is settled for, the more money both you and your lawyer will receive.
How Does a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Get Paid?
If your motorcycle accident claim is successful, the settlement check will likely be sent directly to your lawyer, who will inform you and provide you with an itemized list of the fees and costs involved in preparing the case. Once those fees are deducted, you will be sent the remaining balance from the awarded settlement.
The contingency fee structure allows all motorcycle accident victims to receive skilled legal representation regardless of their current financial situation. The client can focus on healing from his or her injuries without having to worry about filing claims and negotiating with the insurance company alone.
Additional Potential Fees When Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
In addition to the standard legal fee, some motorcycle accident cases may incur other costs. These expenses may include:
- Copying fees for medical records and other documents
- Filing fees
- Investigation expenses
- Expert witness fees
- Deposition costs
Before retaining their services, you should ask the motorcycle accident attorneys about any additional fees that they will charge during the claims process. It is important to know how these fees will be paid. Some personal injury lawyers will cover these costs upfront and then deduct them from the settlement award. Others will require that they be paid by the client throughout the duration of the case.
Factors to Take Into Consideration When Choosing a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer to Represent You
Before hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer, it is important to know what fees he or she will charge you. However, this should not be the only factor you take into consideration when selecting an attorney. Just because one lawyer is less expensive than another does not mean that they are the best person to represent your case.
The following are some things to look for when selecting the personal injury attorney that is right for you:
- Experience: Personal injury law firms handle many different types of accident cases. There is a greater chance that your case will be successful if you choose one that has experience in motorcycle accident claims.
- Successful outcomes: You want to choose a personal injury attorney with a successful record of settling and litigating motorcycle accident cases. Before selecting a lawyer, read the testimonials on the law firm’s website, and feel free to ask for references from past clients.
- Trust: It is important to have a lawyer on your side that you trust and feel comfortable with. Take advantage of the time during your initial consultation to get to know your lawyers. Ask questions about how long they have worked for the law firm, what types of cases they normally handle, and how much they have recovered for their clients.
- Communication: Choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who you feel comfortable communicating with. You want a legal team that will keep you regularly updated on the progress of the case, available to answer any questions that you have as the case progresses. They should be able to explain the law and how settling a claim works using terms and phrasing that are easy for you to understand.
Recoverable Damages Awarded in Motorcycle Accident Claims
When filing your motorcycle accident claim or lawsuit, your lawyer will demand compensation for any expenses relating to your accident and recovery.
This may include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Wrongful death
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Motorcycle accidents can leave victims with catastrophic injuries that require extensive, long-term treatment. You should not be forced to cover the costs of damages that were caused by someone else’s negligence. The personal injury lawyer you choose to represent you can make a difference as to whether you receive maximum compensation for your losses or you have to pay for everything out-of-pocket.
At Kiley Law Group, we know how devastating a motorcycle accident can be, but we are here to help. We have decades of experience representing motorcyclists in Massachusetts. Our lawyers have the experience, knowledge, and resources needed to ensure our clients receive the fair compensation they deserve.
Our law firm takes clients based on contingency, and we will openly explain how our fees work during your initial consultation. If your injuries prevent you from coming to our office, we can visit you at the hospital, your home, or another location convenient to you.
Schedule your free case review today. Fill out the evaluation form, start a live chat with a member of our team, or call us 24/7 at 888-435-1321.